Our program is like no other and that is what keeps our teachers and schools loyal and our students smiling. Each school attending has a tailor-made schedule that is both age-appropriate and reflects the goals of the teachers. We aim to make outdoor education applicable to many areas of study. We, therefore, teach multiple disciplines; our program includes activities in Natural Sciences, Social Studies, Language Arts, Mathematics, and Adventure & Personal Development. All the courses we teach are TEKS correlated.
Our mission is simple. We strive to use the outdoors to awaken ourselves and others to the potential within and around them.
We take the outdoors seriously, and follow these 5 principles: outdoor appreciation, environmental stewardship, experiential learning, interpersonal skills & self-confidence building.
1. Outdoor Appreciation: TOS gives students who have spent most of their lives in an urban setting a chance to experience woods, fields, and lakes.
2. Environmental Stewardship: TOS plants the seed early so that as your children mature their love for the environment is unwavering.
3. Experiential Learning: TOS reinforces classroom learning by allowing students to engage their senses and to learn from experiences such as touching & smelling wildflowers, gazing at stars and tasting wild foods.
4. Interpersonal Skills: TOS treats the children as members of a team where we use proven challenges, initiatives, and ropes course training that enhances children’s cooperation skills, trust, empathy, communication and group problem-solving skills.
5. Self-Confidence: TOS staff guide students to work together to achieve common goals, think creatively to meet posed challenges, and test their perceived limits to overcome physical obstacles.
To be worthwhile, outdoor education must be more than a fun field trip. It must be a first-class educational experience. We take special care to assure your students have the highest quality experience possible. Each school attending has a tailor-made schedule that is both age-appropriate and reflects the goals of the teachers for their students.
We teach students from 4th grade on up. There’s something for everyone at The Outdoor School, whether it’s 5th-graders focused on pre STAAR science prep, 6th graders working together through teambuilding, 7th-graders studying native plant life, or 10th-graders seeking adventure.
We aim to make outdoor education applicable to many areas of study. We therefore teach multiple disciplines; our program includes activities in Natural Sciences, Social Studies, Language Arts, Mathematics, and Adventure & Personal Development. All the courses we teach are TEKS correlated. Our central location in the heart of the Texas Hill Country enables students to take advantage of outstanding natural wonders such as Enchanted Rock State Park, Longhorn Caverns or canoeing on Lake LBJ.
Geared for students in grades 4-12, The Outdoor School Education Program offers a host of different courses, both academic and adventure-based, that will allow you to customize a field trip that will meet the needs of your students.
Geared for Junior High and older students, The Outdoor School Leadership Program will teach and guide students to learn what skills and qualities it takes to be a great individual and teammate in the 21st century.